Sunday, July 29, 2007

They Surf - We Shoot!


It seems that I cannot keep up with the "current events" here at Scottwood but better late than never. You may or may not know that my mother grew up in Southern California. My dad was stationed in the navy in Long Beach and met her and the rest is history. So, half my family is still in SO.CAL. I have been out there recruiting for Baylor for the past 8 years and I put enough bugs in my cousins ears (and enough shirts on their backs) that Shane (class of 2009) decided to seriously consider Baylor as a college option. So my cousin DeeDee and Ron, Shane (17) and Austin (15) came for a Sic'em Day on campus. After the official recruiting tour, I gave them the real tour. Here you can see some of the time we spent together.

My nieces, McKenna and Mia met Shane and Austin in the pool and immediately formed the "crush." The boys were really sweet and cute in how they played with the girls.

My dad took the guys to shoot pistols and then later skeet. They loved it. I don't know if Baylor sold them or my way cool dad who let them shoot guns but I think the trip was a hit.

One little serious thought: Because we did not grow up together, without making the effort, we would have never really known them other than brief holiday visits. Some of my family, like DeeDee and Ron's family, are believers that are experiencing the "abundant life" that Christ has designed for them. Many of my family out there are not. It really brings many things in to perspective when you have family members that you love and care about who do not know him. It highlights the scripture "they will know we are Christians by the way that we love one another" which causes me to ask the familiar question, "how then should I live?"
Do I live like I love them? Can they tell a difference?
Besides the fact that they surf and we shoot?

1 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger Heidi McKee said...

How fun...one of the boys, Shane or Austin, don't know which one, but the picture of them shooting, he looks JUST like the boy who played in "where the red fern grows". The main character, not sure his name, but your cousin looks JUST like him. Wierd, I know ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home