Friday, July 06, 2007

GWC, Backpacks & Crosses

Today I got a big shot of empathy. I wouldn't say it is my number one strength (thank goodness for the difference that Jesus makes!). I leave in just under a week to go backpacking, rock climbing, and whitewater rafting in Colorado with 40 incoming Baylor freshmen. Do I have a great job or what? To prepare my legs and cardiovascular system, I have been walking a few miles five times a week and last week I started carrying a backpack with 10 pounds in it.

For three days, I stayed at 10 lbs. Then two days at 20 lbs. Today I added another 10 lbs to total 30. As I started walking, it donned on me that I was carrying the same amount of weight on my back that Elizabeth, my good friend and sister in Christ, is carrying in front as she is GWC (Great With Child - 25 weeks great!). Within the first 100 yards I could feel the difference in my knees and ankles. I have a whole new appreciation for what she is going through as her body changes and "Baby Walker" grows.

I am reminded that we all have burdens to bear. Some are like pregnancy and have a blessing beyond the pain. Some are like backpacks and we load stuff in and carry it around until we hand it over to the Lord to carry for us. Some are like crosses that we are asked to carry "for our good and His glory." In each of those situations, we will come to the point of thinking that our load is unbearable only to realize that it was made just for us - He designed it to fit who He designed us to be. When Jesus says in Matthew 11: 28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." As I put the backpack on, I realize that it "fits me" just like the yoke Christ asks us to carry. Because it "fits us" it will seem easy and light. So whatever your cross, backpack, or burden...just know that He chose you and you will never walk alone.

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well thanks for sharing...even if I did have to hear it first from your blog! (em hmm) Nice revelation and application :) ejw

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Heidi McKee said...

Beautiful girl. Thanks. I hated not getting to talk to you :( Have fun in CO. If you do get bored, go to my sister Tammy's blog. You'd appreciate her insight. You two remind me of each other A LOT!....2 people I aspire to be like :)
Heidi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home