Sunday, March 25, 2007

Bluebonnets & Bibles

Bluebonnets - the State Flower of Texas. Historian Jack Maguire so aptly wrote, "It's not only the state flower but also a kind of floral trademark almost as well known to outsiders as cowboy boots and the Stetson hat." He goes on to affirm that "The bluebonnet is to Texas what the shamrock is to Ireland, the cherry blossom to Japan, the lily to France, the rose to England and the tulip to Holland." This picture is looking at the field in front of my house from my front porch...am I blessed or what?


Just before Christmas, I was listening intently to Beth Moore teach through the book of Daniel. She started one lesson by explaining that she was using a new Bible because her daughter told her to quit leaning on her old one and all the writing she had in it. That hit me between the eyes, so I decided that I would get myself a new Bible...a parallel version with NASB and NIV. A local store, The Compass was going out of business and I found one for half price...but it didn't have "the red letter edition." Anyway, it sat in my car for several weeks and I didn't use it...for various reasons (mostly lame excuses). About a month ago, my 4 year old niece Mia told me after church one day that my Bible was old and I needed to get a new one (she was only looking at the outside). I took the new Bible to church today for the first time. God is going to have His way...He speaks directly to us and when we don't listen, He uses those people closest to us. Little did Mia know that she was being used by God to spur me on.

2 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, Blogger Forrest and Elizabeth Williams said...

What a pro Ms. Scott you are getting at blogging! You are a true 'blue' blogger now. Thanks for sharing your world with those of us far away. love, me

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Heidi McKee said...

WOW, just this weekend, I attended a retreat where the speaker talked about her "marked" up Bible, and how she was very "proud" of it. She realized this as pride so she gave it away to a younger christian! Now she gives a bible away a year after it's been marked up and highlighted! What a gift! I don't know if I'm that generous or not--but last year I left my bible at Women of Faith conference, one I've had since I became a Christian--bookmarks and all. I know someone now is using it for God's glory! And I've started another one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home